Whats going on tonight?
Rugby in Carradale, Argyll and Bute, UK - Find out whats going on tonight in the Argyll and Bute area for "Rugby" of Carradale. Featuring rugby, league, amateur, world cup and Rugby in Carradale, Scarinish, Scarnish, Schallasaig, Selma, Shandon, and includes local tweets, a map and local events in Carradale. Are you #in2nite or #out2nite in Carradale for Rugby
Carradale (Scottish Gaelic: Càradal, pronounced [ˈkʰaːrˠət̪əl̪ˠ]) is a village on the east side of Kintyre, overlooking the Kilbrannan Sound and the west coast of the Isle of Arran in the Firth of Clyde, approximately 14 miles (23 kilometres) from Campbeltown. To the north of Carradale is the coastal peak known as Torr Mor; nearby are the hamlet of Dippen and Dippen Bay. Population: 1,350~ (2009)
In the 17th and 18th centuries there were small communities of crofters and fishermen working in and around Carradale. The introduction of steam ships transformed Kintyre and from the 1830s until the Second World War daily steamers went from Campbeltown to Glasgow, calling at Carradale.
With the herring industry thriving, Carradale's first pier was built in 1858, developing and encouraging the holiday trade. This situation persisted until the Second World War, with hotels developing and a tradition of families returning year after year. Now this situation is reversing again. Carradale still has a fishing fleet, - largely dealing in shellfish. Since the 1950s, forestry has also played an important part in the village with large scale afforestation taking place.
The novelist and poet Naomi Mitchison lived in Carradale House from 1937 until her death in 1999.
Related locations in Argyll and Bute:
More of tonight for Carradale:
Carradale: 55.583333, -5.483333
- Pancake Day in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Pantomime in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Pubs in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Radio in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Religious Events in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Restaurants in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Snowing in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Sports in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight
- Spring Equinox in Carradale, Argyll and Bute tonight