Whats going on tonight?
Theatre in Witcham, Cambridgeshire, UK - Find out whats going on tonight in the Cambridgeshire area for "Theatre" of Witcham. Featuring theatre, perform, stage and Theatre in Witcham, Fenland District, Fen Stanton, Folksworth, Fordham, Foulmere, and includes local tweets, a map and local events in Witcham. Are you #in2nite or #out2nite in Witcham for Theatre
Witcham is a small village near Ely in Cambridgeshire, England.
The village is surrounded by fenland farms and has a village hall and a 13th-century church dedicated to St Martin. It has a pub called the White Horse, which was the winner of the Ely and District CAMRA Rural Pub of the Year Award 2006, 2010, 2011 and Overall Pub of the Year Award 2011. It also has a fine village green.
The village hosts the World Pea Shooting Championships on the second Saturday in July every year and has staged the competition annually since 1971.
Witcham is built around a cross-roads in the centre of the village with each of the four roads having housing on each side for 50-200m. The north-bound street is called "Martins Lane", the east-bound street is "High Street", south-bound is "The Slade", and west-bound is "Silver Street", which leads to the more recent housing developments of "Westway Place" and "The Orchards".
The name of the village derives from "Wycham", meaning "place of the wych elms", after the trees that used to grow there in significant numbers. A Roman cavalry helmet dating from the first century AD, known as the Witcham Gravel helmet, was found in the village gravel pit, and now resides in the British Museum.
The village school was sited on the South side of High Street, opposite and a little East of St.Martin's church, and was open as an infants and junior school from 1873 until 1982. When the school closed the pupils instead went to Mepal or Sutton. A local archive has further images of the school.
- Oops! No results! Reload Page
Related Locations for 'Theatre':
Related locations in Cambridgeshire:
More of tonight for Witcham:
Witcham: 52.400000, 0.150000
- Bars in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Black Friday in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Bonfire Night in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Book Launch in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Boutique Hotels in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Boxing Day Sales in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Brexit in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Burns Night in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Chinese New Year in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight
- Christmas in Witcham, Cambridgeshire tonight