Castle Kennedy Cinema | Check out Cinema tonight in Castle Kennedy, Dumfries and Galloway, UK

Whats going on tonight?

Cinema in Castle Kennedy, Dumfries and Galloway, UK - Find out whats going on tonight in the Dumfries and Galloway area for "Cinema" of Castle Kennedy. Featuring cinema, listings, pictures, pics and Cinema in Castle Kennedy, Whitehorn, Whithorn, Wigton, Wigtown County, Wigtownshire, and includes local tweets, a map and local events in Castle Kennedy. Are you #in2nite or #out2nite in Castle Kennedy for Cinema

Castle Kennedy is a small village 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Stranraer in Dumfries and Galloway, south-west Scotland. It is on the A75 road, and is within the civil parish of Inch. The village is to the south of the Lochinch Castle estate, which includes the ruins of the 17th-century Castle Kennedy, as well as Castle Kennedy Gardens which are open to the public.
Prior to the Reformation the two lochs within the Lochinch estate, Black Loch and White Loch, were together known as Loch Crindil. A small island in the White Loch was the site of a church, which may have given the parish its name: "the Inch", from the Scottish Gaelic: innis, meaning "island".
Castle Kennedy was built in 1607 as a mansion house by the Earl of Cassilis, on the site of an older castle. It was acquired in 1677 by Sir John Dalrymple, later the Earl of Stair, though the house burned down in 1716. The 2nd Earl retained the ruin as a focal point for new formal gardens laid out in the 1730s. In the 1860s the 9th and 10th Earls built Lochinch Castle on the estate, in a "Franco-Scottish style", and partially restored the 18th-century gardens that had fallen into disrepair. The estate remains the property of the Earl of Stair, and Castle Kennedy Gardens are open to the public. Restoration of the gardens continues. Because of the Gulf Stream and the proximity of the sea on two sides, the gardens enjoy a mild climate which permits the cultivation of a range of rhododendrons and other plants not often seen in Scotland.

Castle Kennedy had a station on the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway, which opened in 1861 and closed in 1965. The station building is now a house, and the closest station is at Stranraer. During the Second World War an airfield was constructed to the east of the village: it operated from 1941 to 1945, and the runways remain in place. The village has its own primary school, with a roll of 38 pupils.



Castle Kennedy: 54.900000, -4.966667