South Dalton Events | Check out Events tonight in South Dalton, East Riding of Yorkshire, UK

Whats going on tonight?

Events in South Dalton, East Riding of Yorkshire, UK - Find out whats going on tonight in the East Riding of Yorkshire area for "Events" of South Dalton. Featuring event, events, hotel, venue and Events in South Dalton, Goodmanham, Goole, Goxhill, Great Cowden, Great Driffield, and includes local tweets, a map and local events in South Dalton. Are you #in2nite or #out2nite in South Dalton for Events

South Dalton is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated 1 mile (1.6 km) to the west of the B1248 road, and approximately 6 miles (10 km) north-east from the market town of Market Weighton and 5 miles (8 km) north-west from the market town of Beverley. Etton lies 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the south-east. North Dalton is approximately 4.5 miles (7 km) north-west, with the villages of Middleton on the Wolds and Lund between.
South Dalton forms part of the civil parish of Dalton Holme.
The village forms part the Dalton Estate, owned and managed by the Hotham family which has possessed land in the area for generations. The 18th-century hall is the home of Lord Hotham. The Dalton Estate office is within the village. The Estate houses are of rows of cottages and Tudor style houses, some with date plates dating as far back as 1706.
According to A Dictionary of British Place Names the village name derives from the Old English for a "farmstead or village in a valley." South Dalton is listed in the Domesday Book as "Delton". At the time of the survey the settlement was in the Hundred of Sneculfcros in the East Riding of Yorkshire. It contained twelve households, twelve villagers, and six ploughlands. In 1066 Ealdred, the Archbishop of York, held the Lordship, this transferring by 1086 to the canons of Beverley, with Thomas of Bayeux, the later Archbishop of York, as Tenant-in-chief to King William I. By 1260 the settlement name was recorded as "Suthdalton".In 1823 South Dalton was a village and civil parish in the Wapentake of Harthill. Population at the time was 277. Occupations included twelve farmers, a shopkeeper, a boot & shoe maker, a carpenter & wheelwright, a blacksmith, and the landlord of The Board public house. A weaver was also the parish clerk. Three carriers operated between the village and Beverley once a week.



South Dalton: 53.883333, -0.533333